It all began on a winter night, snuggling near the heaters with a hot chocolate in one hand and the remote control in another. It was the perfect winter night – or at least that’s what I thought. I switched the channel to the world news, and suddenly, in bold letters on the screen read: ‘Islamic Extremism’ and ‘Terrorist’. I felt my heart drop, getting heavier the longer I looked at the screen. It was painful to see how my religion was being portrayed in the media – as everybody’s nightmare. Why was my religion being judged by the actions of the very small few?

With a heavy heart, I struggled to understand why only a very specific few Muslims were broadcasted in the media. Why wasn’t there anything on the positive contributions of Muslims to the general community? Shouldn’t the good always outweigh the bad? I began searching for answers, even asking my colleagues’ opinions to find what I needed. It only took a few weeks until it slowly hit me: the reason why we only see a very small population of Muslims – the extreme – so frequently appearing in the media is because there aren’t enough Muslim leaders who represent the true teachings of Islam making appearances. If it was difficult for me, a Muslim woman, to find a Muslim leader in my community, imagine how difficult it would be for a non-Muslim.

This heavy heart led me to take it upon myself to become a representative of the Muslim community. I was not going to let my religion become politicised and the subject to political debate; I was not going to let the actions of 3% of the Muslim population change the world’s perception on the remaining 97% of us; I wanted to be a living example of a good Muslim, not a media stereotype.

It was a long journey, but I was determined. I began by building my leadership skills through my last years of high school. I became a prefect. I volunteered to coordinate international fundraisers, and became a public speaker, raising awareness on humanitarian crises.

Straight out of high school and in my first year of university, I became the Education and Public Affairs Officer of the Student Union. For the first time, I felt like my voice was valued. At the same time, I was elected as an Academic Board Member – a position where I sit alongside the Vice-Chancellor and numerous academic staff to discuss issues affecting academic excellence. I later became involved in the Moreland City Council by joining the Oxygen Youth Committee, where I provide advice and recommendations to Moreland City Council on issues that affect young people in Moreland. I was one of the twenty-five Muslim Youth Leaders chosen by the Islamic Council of Victoria, and I’m only just beginning.

This is me: still growing from that little girl who watched the news degrade her religion to this woman of power who is fighting those exact stereotypes with every step she takes.

In a matter of a few years, I became the Muslim leader that I was ever so keen on finding.

Words by Tharaa El-Achkar

Tags:

  • Show Comments (4)

  • Alphonse Seratt

    Hello there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this site.

    http://www.folorentorium.com/

  • Ezekiel Cutshall

    Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one?¦s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

    https://incontro.net.au/membership/

  • Dean Hillian

    Hello, Neat post. There is an issue along with your web site in internet explorer, would check thisK IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a good part of other people will leave out your magnificent writing due to this problem.

    https://incontro.net.au

  • guest blog posting

    I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I?¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website 🙂

    https://incontro.net.au/quality-guest-blog-posting/

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

You May Also Like

Free Education is Better Education

The case for free higher education does not only emphasise fair and equal access ...

BNE Considers $4 Billion Investment in Amberg

Man bun bespoke freegan, kitsch retro ethical banh mi williamsburg drinking vinegar sustainable heirloom ...

Jess King

JESS has a bottle of lemonade, he sits on ‘the verandah.’ JESS: Knowing that ...

La Trobe 50: Share Your Story – Timothy Thomaidis

Bachelor of Health Sciences majoring in Public Health & Bachelor of International Development I ...

Suave to Release This Summer

Man bun bespoke freegan, kitsch retro ethical banh mi williamsburg drinking vinegar sustainable heirloom ...

Could the PSP be the best portable game console ever?

Soham Adwani talks about his love-hate relationship with Sony's first ever portable console and ...